Easy Thai Shrimp Soup – Skip the take-out and try making this at home – it’s unbelievably easy and 10000x tastier and healthier!
1 cup uncooked basmati rice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoon red curry paste
1 (12-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
3 cups vegetable stock
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan of 1 1 /2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper to the stockpot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in curry paste until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and vegetable stock, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, shrimp, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.